Monday, June 20, 2011

Danny Hull Newsletter: Musically This Week Vol XIII, No 40

Hullo friends.  We’re two weeks in and all is well.  In fact, just last week I received two unsolicited comments from trusted sources in support of our new management.  Fair and entrepreneurial were two of the descriptives used regarding the new owner of the Maple Entertainment Complex and the Iris Restaurant.  Also unsolicited from some enthusiastic regulars were positive observations regarding the food and the wine selections.  And as an occasional beer taster, I can attest to the draft variety offered in the Library.  So we persevere, and we do so this week with a maiden offering…
Tuesday, 6/21 at the Iris Restaurant     7:00 - 10:00
The WNY Project Big Band playing the compositions & arrangements of Dave Kayne
saxes:  Kenny Kuriscak, Bill Todd, Andy Weinzler, John Troy, Mike Troy
trombones:  John Hasselback, Matt Atfield, Lon Gormley, Alan Jaenecke
trumpets:  Jim Bohm, Tim Clarke, Paul Wos, Joe Martino
rhythm:  Dave Kayne, Cameron Kayne, your host
The idea behind the WNY Project Big Band is to bring together both the graying and future practitioners of our art form, and to play the world-class arrangements of Dave Kayne.  I know, I use the term world-class a lot, my limited vocabulary being what it is.  But when I heard a demo version of some of the charts we will be playing this Tuesday I was stunned.  I’ve known Dave for years.  He’s an early-rising work-a-holic who will sacrifice his sleep in order to practice or write before putting in a full day as band director at Starpoint High School.  I’ve played his small group arrangements and I’ve always been impressed by how easily he can translate to the written page what he hears in his head.  But I wasn’t prepared for the sound that came from my car speakers when I played the practice disc he gave me.  Think Thad Jones or Rob McConnell, Don Menza or Bob Florence, John La Barbera or Gordon Goodwin.  Dave’s arrangements are rhythmically vital, harmonically rich, lyrical, melodic, lush, nuanced, and complete musical works of art.  Now it’s our job to make music of the notes.  Please join us as we continue our tradition…  The new Iris Restaurant – good music, good food, good people, chilled spirits, and a great hang.
upcoming at the Iris Restaurant...
Tuesday, 6/28 Bill Todd
Tuesday, 7/5 Tony Scozzaro
Tuesday, 7/12 Ron Corsaro & the Upstate Express
Tuesday, 7/19 Michael Royal
Tuesday, 7/26 3 Brothers & a Distant Cousin
Tuesday, 8/2               Barbara Jean
Tuesday, 8/9 Don Menza
Tuesday, 8/16 Laurie Bordonaro
Tuesday, 8/23 Pete Malinverni & Jody Sandhaus
links...
Dave Kayne...
I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
 - Thomas Jefferson

Health,
Hope,
Dialogue,
and Peace.
dan

"It bugs me when people try to analyze jazz as an intellectual theorem.  It's not.  It's feeling."
 - Bill Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment